This is a fantastic opportunity to join a successful, growing healthcare communications agency and contribute towards shaping the future direction of the business. The successful candidate will get to work with a team of experienced, talented, like-minded professionals and will be empowered and supported to take a lead on key accounts within the scientific writing area of the business. You will also benefit from a competitive salary and benefits package, and an agile working model that has been in place since the company’s inception.
As Scientific Director you will lead both the strategy and delivery of the full scope of medical communication products and services to meet the needs of our clients.
You will oversee the day to day running of the account in developing scientific content including but not limited to Meetings, training slides and medical plans. You will be focussed on the scientific strategy and work closely with the senior management team to lead teams, uphold the quality of all deliverables, solve problems, and build great relationships. In this role you will be key to the future development of the scientific and writing function and future development of Makara Health.
- Partner with client to define the scientific strategy in developing scientific materials and programmes.
- Lead onsite client meeting activities.
- Proactively support client and identify opportunities for organic account growth.
- Build and consolidate key client and opinion leader relationships.
- Proactively support client sand identify opportunities for organic account growth.
- Proactively plan resourcing needs across existing and new accounts, including defining requirements for scientific team involvement.
- Manage writers and editors, overseeing and guiding the production of clear, concise, and accurate copy to the highest scientific and grammatical standards.
- Take full accountability for accuracy and scientific integrity of all editorial projects.
- Provide scientific and strategic expertise internally and externally.
- Ensure that the content of materials produced are appropriate for the target audience and that they meet or exceed client expectations.
- Develop and ensure consistent application of internal editorial processes.
- Manage short- and long-term resource planning, and the outsourcing of work to freelancers as appropriate.
- Train and develop medical writing team and manage regular performance and well-being reviews.
- Proactively provide recommendations for process improvement and ensure that all members of the medical writing team follow internal processes.
- Work closely with other functions around the business (e.g., creative, client services) in the delivery of specific projects as appropriate.
- Maintain awareness of industry changes, and scientific research and disseminate information to scientific team members.
- Lead scientific and strategic input into pitch development, ensuring appropriate involvement of other functions and team members (creative, digital, client services).
- Proactively identify opportunities for organic account growth.
- Educated to degree level or higher in a biomedical science, in a medical education and communications agency environment, including experience of good multidisciplinary teamwork.
- Strong background in medical writing and planning scientific communication programmes and have broader skills as part of a multi-channel service offering.
- Confidence in presenting / good presentation skills.
- The experience to proactively suggest ways to improve the scientific offering of Makara Health and assist in implementing these suggestions as required.
- Strong strategic and leadership experience.
- Thorough scientific knowledge across a wide range of therapy areas.
- Up-to-date knowledge of important clinical issues; relevant literature; clinical practice guidelines; approved therapeutic drugs, regimens, and devices; therapeutic pipelines; and key opinion leaders.
- Ability to lead development of robust scientifically sound materials.
- Solid understanding of ABPI code of practice, plus international (especially EU) regulatory environments.
- Effective project and resource planning, with an understanding of budgets and financial oversight.
- Passion for driving and/or participating in new business pitches and proposal development.
- Formal line management experience preferable; experience with mentoring / training / coaching members of the team required.
To be considered for this exciting opportunity please send your CV to email@example.com